Monday, February 14, 2011

XXXV

This post is long overdue. I went to Hong Kong and China in July and anyone who has been to Asia knows that you mainly do one thing while you're there - you eat!

Cha siu bao - I ate one every single day...literally. If I didn't have a fresh bao when I went out for breakfast at dim sum, I surely had a defrosted and steamed one for lunch, which was surprisingly just as good.

I'm not too cool to pretend that I'm a martian.


My aunt and uncle in Hong Kong have a standing table for breakfast at the Panda Hotel. They eat there every single day. The food is quite good but I don't know if it is good enough to warrant a daily viewing of the demonic pandas. The one on the left particularly frightens me.



The black squares in the latte are grass jelly, a gelatinous dessert that's popular in China. I was surprised by how busy the Starbucks were given that I barely frequent them myself in order to lower my "latte factor." I thought I'd see fewer people due to the significantly lower cost of living especially since the prices were the same as the U.S.' Please note that those are not my fingernails.



The Chinese love their potatoes...with mayo and corn. I don't get it either.

Oh, Hong Kong....I love you. You, too, China. I will see you both again in a few months!

3 comments:

  1. I have noooo idea what half of those food/nibbles/things (?) are! but they look soooo good!
    thinking of heading to korea and japan possibly this summer! any more posts with info would be epic!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn that food looks good, especially the cha siu bao. I'm also digging the trippy pandas.

    Thanks for the comment on my blog btw. Before (or after) you get the Black Label Burger, try the one at Brindle Room...my favorite dry-aged burger in the city (lunch only though). B&B white truffle burger sounds good (and when I went I could smell the truffle odor coming off of it from the other side of the bar), but really hard to justify a $45 burger...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, your blog is so awesome!
    I haven't been to China since I was three years old and this blog post with all these yummy looking photos of yummy foods totally makes me jealous!

    ReplyDelete